It turns out there is a whole genre of problem solving frameworks. Many represent "business paperback" level thinking and clearly wouldn't be much help doing anything difficult.
How to Solve It (1945) is a famous little volume by mathematician George Pólya describing general methods of problem solving. I particularly like his heuristic approach:
I like this book so much I have a page of it stuck to my office wall. Every once in a while I look at it when stuck, and sometimes it inspires a new perspective.
How to Solve It (1945) is a famous little volume by mathematician George Pólya describing general methods of problem solving. I particularly like his heuristic approach:
| Heuristic | Informal Description | Formal analogue |
| Analogy | Can you find a problem analogous to your problem and solve that? | Map |
| Generalization | Can you find a problem more general than your problem? | Generalization |
| Induction | Can you solve your problem by deriving a generalization from some examples? | Induction |
| Variation of the Problem | Can you vary or change your problem to create a new problem (or set of problems) whose solution(s) will help you solve your original problem? | Search |
| Auxiliary Problem | Can you find a subproblem or side problem whose solution will help you solve your problem? | Subgoal |
| Here is a problem related to yours and solved before | Can you find a problem related to yours that has already been solved and use that to solve your problem? | Pattern recognition Pattern matching Reduction |
| Specialization | Can you find a problem more specialized? | Specialization |
| Decomposing and Recombining | Can you decompose the problem and "recombine its elements in some new manner"? | Divide and conquer |
| Working backward | Can you start with the goal and work backwards to something you already know? | Backward chaining |
| Draw a Figure | Can you draw a picture of the problem? | Diagrammatic Reasoning [28] |
| Auxiliary Elements | Can you add some new element to your problem to get closer to a solution? | Extension[disambiguation needed] |
I like this book so much I have a page of it stuck to my office wall. Every once in a while I look at it when stuck, and sometimes it inspires a new perspective.
No comments:
Post a Comment